Friday, September 21, 2007

Call me White Goodman

No place at trivia again, as we got the first difficult final question in weeks. I'm beginning to think the restaurant manager reads this blog, and put in an entire round of questions about Saturday morning cartoons just to wind me up. Seriously, I'm considering a different Thursday night activity at this point.

1. What is the life expectancy (in years) of an average human being?
2. Who was the last U.S. President who was left-handed?
3. How many muscles does it take to frown?
4. What school was home to the 2000 Heisman Trophy winner?
5. How many female Smurfs were there?
6. What action hero was bestowed the title of Honorary Marine, in March 2007?
7. What woman has the most appearances on the cover of Time magazine?
8. In the average human being, which lung can hold more air (left or right)?
Final:
9. What was the first state to abolish the death penalty?

5 comments:

Leo said...

5. only one, right? Just Smurfette. Or is this some kind of trick question?

J. Bowman said...

Well, whether or not it's a "trick" question is a matter of debate. I think it's akin to asking, "how many Brady children were there?" And then counting Cousin Oliver. At any rate, there's more than one.

Anonymous said...

No Googling:

1. Horribly defined question. Worldwide life expectancy? About 69.
2. W, I think. An inordinate amount of recent presidents are. Clinton and Ford are/were as well, I believe.
3. 140 (?)
4. Florida(?)
5. One. Kinda like the Michigan Tech campus, that Smurfland.
6. GI Joe (?)
7. Hilary (2nd Guess, Eleanor Roosevelt)
8. Right
9. You ARE originally from Michigan, right? (1837)

-- bad dad

Leo said...

I got tired of waiting, and I finally googled the Smurf thing. Sassette Smurf? Seriously? Trick Question.

Also, in the unlikely event I ever join a trivia league, I totally call bad dad for my team.

J. Bowman said...

I seem to have left the answer sheet in my office; I'll correct these if I mis-remember.
1. 78.5 years; and yes, it's a badly framed question.
2. Clin-ton
3. 43
4. Florida State (Chris Weinke). This was part of the halftime, which was "name the school that produced the [year] Heisman winner. I knew 2006 and 1968.
5. Three: Smurfette, Sassette Smurfling, and Nanny Smurf, whose existence makes zero sense, because there were no female Smurfs until Gargamel created Smurfette.
6. $#^%@@#! Chuck Norris
7. The Virgin Mary. At least one person complained, upon hearing this announced as the answer, that "she's not a real person!"
8. Right
9. It is, indeed, my home state of Michigan, though the ban was enacted in 1846. Michigan was, in fact, the first English-speaking government to ban the death penalty.