A second-place finish for my trivia team ("The Curse of Rick Pitino") last night, as we missed a couple of easy ones, talked ourselves out of at least one correct answer, and couldn't remember a key film in Samuel L. Jackson's filmography. Next week, league play starts, and then I can really get my nerd on.
1. In the Canterbury Tales, how many husbands did the Wife of Bath have?
2. What legendary ballplayer was the last player-manager in Major League Baseball?
3. The Oval Office set used on The West Wing was originally constructed for what late-90's Hollywood film?
4. Which nation has bred the most Miss Universe winners?
5. In what year did Vanna White first appear on Wheel of Fortune?
6. The halftime category this week (and for the next several weeks, apparently) is "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon." Connect Samuel L. Jackson to Kevin Bacon in six (or fewer) steps. Do it in at most two steps for full credit.
7. Where in the human body are the only nerves that continually regenerate?
8. Below what depth in the world's oceans does no sunlight reach?
9. What is the oldest city in the U.S. that serves as a state capital?
10. What is the most earthquake-prone U.S. state?
11. What famous 19th-century American was fired from his U.S. government job for "writing an immoral book?"
12. What regal name did Jermaine Jackson bestow on the son born to him in 2003?