Sunday, March 11, 2007

Genetically Modified Super-Rice

I've eaten well this weekend. Friday was leftovers (rotini and sweet sausage), because I was busy preparing Saturday's dry-rubbed, slow-cooked carnitas feast. Saturday, the carnitas for lunch (with spicy rice and fresh-made guacamole), and dinner at a local Greek place. Today, the leftover pork went into some hashbrowns, and now I have a new batch of tomatoes roasting in the oven.
So, which of these is your Recipe Of The Week? Well, the pork roast is cribbed in large part from a cookbook. Not that the Velvet Elvis is something no one's ever seen before, but I feel like I should at least be able to make a dish without having a book open on the counter before I call it my own. With that in mind, you get my Southwestern Rice, which I've been making for years, and heretofore has existed only on a post-it stuck in another cookbook. The post title is the way one of my friends described it the first time I served it to other people.

Southwestern Rice
2 T. olive oil or butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. Mexican oregano (Mexican oregano is less sweet and more piquant than the Mediterranean version)
2 cups long-grain white rice
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup jalepeƱos, diced
1/2 cup diced red vegetables (my favorite is roasted peppers, but unroasted peppers and tomatoes are also extremely good)
1 16-ounce bag frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup milk
4 ounces grated monterey jack cheese

Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, cumin, and oregano, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until well-coated. Add the stock and vegetables and increase heat to high. When the pot begins to boil, stir for a few seconds, then turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let stand for 25-30 minutes. Stir in the milk and cheese. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and cilantro. Serves, oh, let's call it 12.

My only real problem with this recipe is that it makes a lot of rice, which means I'm eating this all week. Fortunately, it's pretty versatile stuff, and tasty besides.

2 comments:

Shuttsie said...

This post made me hungry!

anne57 said...

This looks good, I'll have to give it a try. I like the spinach-feta soup from before.