Sunday, April 8, 2007

My Cuisine Regins Supreme

There was a time when I got a lot of my recipes from Iron Chef; I'd see something interesting, say to myself, "hey, I could make something like that," and off I'd go. This one sticks with me, though. One night, as my friends and I were watching, and commenting on how often we thought the dishes sounded terrible (clearly, we do not posess the palate of the Japanese upper class), and I asked, "have you ever seen one of the judges say that a dish is terrible?" We all agreed that we had not. Two minutes later, we were floored when we heard Asako Kishii say, "this is awful! Just terrible." Tonight, you get the first dish I ever saw panned on Iron Chef. My theory is that Iron Chef Kobe was hampered by having to use chocolate. This makes a great side dish to a pork roast.

Spicy Sliced Bananas with Garlic

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 crumbled Tien Tsin peppers or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 bananas, sliced
salt
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bananas and a pinch of salt, and stir until the bananas are browned, about 2 more minutes. stir in the sugar until it makes a paste coating the bananas. Serve warm.

No comments: